Inflammation is signified by pain, heat, redness and swelling. We have all experienced inflammation. When you bump your knee on that corner table, there was swelling, redness and pain. There was inflammation, it is a response from our body to hasten up the healing process.
The problem arises when inflammation runs longer than just for an acute situation. Long term inflammation keeps spinning up inflammatory compounds. Chronic inflammation causes ageing, weight gain, loss of vitality, illness and disease.
These are some of the things you are doing that may cause inflammation:
- Sugar – sugar is one of the most inflammatory foods. By creating imbalances in blood sugar levels, sugar drives up oxidation and inflammation.
- Processed food – a study of the healthiest and longest living people on the planet reveals that their diet comprises fresh foods. Processed foods are inflammatory and are packed with preservatives and additives.
- You are not eating enough leafy greens - green leafy vegetables are anti-inflammatory, so eat more of them!
- The wrong fats – you may be looking out for the wrong fats to consume, with so many theories out there, you could well be confused as to what fats constitute good fats. If you are confused, I don’t blame you. Anti-inflammatory good fats are olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil and macadamia oil.
- You are not having enough omega 3 intake – we typically do not have a shortage of omega 6, and the ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 in the diet gets too low.
- You don’t have enough hydration, get that water in! If you don’t like the taste of plain water, put in some peppermint leaves, cucumber or lemon. Avoid artificially sweetened drinks and flavoured water.
- You consume too many grains – depending on what your individual situation is, some people do well with whole grains, others do well with no grains!
In our clinic, Hemaview Live Blood Screening screens for inflammation. In pathology blood testing, imbalances may show up in CRP, ESR, HbA1C, ANA, Rheumatoid Factor, etc.
Decrease inflammation and you will decrease your risk of premature ageing, and gain back your vitality!