If you are worried you are going to undo some of your weight loss efforts this year or putting on weight which you cannot accommodate anymore over the Christmas holiday season, do not fret.
Here are 10 strategies to help you survive the festive season without putting on weight:
- Eat something satiating first in that meal – start your meal with something that contains more fats – like salmon, avocado, nuts or nut butters, dark chocolate, eggs.
- Eat some high protein snacks whilst waiting for your meal, especially if you are attending a dinner party. Having a Shape Up smoothie or shake first before leaving home helps keep you in check.
- Pile your plate with salads and vegetables.
- Eat only when you are hungry and stop when you are full, even if there is still lots of food on the table!
- Manage your stress – stress increases weight gain, stress can also make you eat to de-stress. Most stress over this festive season is about pleasing people, financial strain and being perfect. Focus on the relationships rather than the material things, and you do not have to throw the perfect party, just have fun! Help children to be realistic.
- Avoid overindulging – alcohol and festive foods, be “Treat Mindful”
- Do some exercise or go for a walk – enjoy nature with your family. Exercise in the morning, when your stomach is empty and have your meal after you have worked out.
- Pamper yourself – have a long bath, listen to music, or go for a massage.
- Get adequate rest and sleep.
- Above all, make sure you are well hydrated with water and choose non-sugary, non-artificial sweetener laden drinks. Simple, plain matcha tea, herbal tea or black tea can break the monotony of just drinking water. To understand why artificial sweeteners will put weight on for you long term, refer to my article here: http://blog.nutriactionz.co.nz/2019/10/sugar-substitutes-which-ones-can-we-use.html