We are going through uncertain times and things are changing on a daily basis. It is good to be prepared, do not panic, and if you have not done your shopping, I would suggest you do it to prepare about 2 weeks’ worth of supplies Be prepared, in case you need to self isolate. This is what I would make sure there is adequate supply for 2 weeks.
- Canned tuna/ salmon/ sardines
- Cold smoked salmon that are vacumn packed can stay in the fridge for 2 weeks
- Dried beans and lentils
- Dried sea vegetables like wakame, kombu
- Miso paste that you can store in the fridge
- Frozen vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, beans, peas that you can store in the freezer
- Garlic, ginger and onions
- Brown rice/ buckwheat/ millet/ quinoa/ amaranth
- Olive oil or coconut oil
- Dried herbs for flavouring – e.g. rosemary, basil, coriander seeds, mustard seeds, paprika, etc. If you are self sufficient and grow herbs in your kitchen or garden, that would be a substitute for dried herbs.
- Salt, soya sauce or tamari, apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- Raw dried nuts and seeds
- Some extra lean meat/ chicken that you can store in the freezer
- Tissue paper and toilet paper (yes, have some toilet paper in case you run out!)
- Toothpaste, mouth wash, body wash, shampoo
- Sanitary pads or tampons (for menstruating women)
When you are prepared, you will not panic. There will be those of you who are on specific dietary interventions and need more of something and less of others, you will need to tailor this list to your specific needs.