Many civilisations have used the face, skin, nails, tongue and pulses to decode a person’s state of health. When you look at yourself in the mirror, some of the observations you have can alert you to health issues that are starting and may not be full blown and diseased yet.
1. Puffy face and thinning of eye brows – we all love skinny face and long eye brows to highlight our features but if you have been noticing that your face is getting puffier and your outer third of your eye brows are thinning, it could be a sign of iodine deficiency. Iodine is a trace mineral that we need a very small quantity of, but if you are deficient in it or cannot absorb it, you will have different symptoms that will show up.
2. One side of the face droops – this can be caused by a viral infection affecting the vagal nerve causing a condition called Bell’s Palsy. If you have always had a symmetrical smile and notice you are not, get it checked to make sure you haven’t had a stroke. If what you have is Bell’s Palsy, acupuncture soonest possible can help save you from ongoing droopiness.
3. Puffy and flaky eyelids – this is usually from some form of allergic reaction, quite often from topical applications or skin care that you have put on. Eliminate all topical applications and allow skin to heal. Choose skincare that are as natural as possible and has the shortest list of ingredients. Avoid any bottles that contain ingredients you cannot pronounce.
4. Rashes or blotches – this often indicates a food allergy or absorption issues in the gut
5. Pale and cracked lips – this is often an indication of iron and B vitamin deficiencies
6. Persistent hair growth on your face if you are a woman – this could be a sign of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. You will need to get blood tests and preferably scans done to confirm the condition.
7. Enlarged tonsils – these could indicate ongoing infection or a deficiency of vitamins A,C,E and zinc.
8. Dry, thinning hair and dandruff – this can be a sign of deficiency of essential fatty acids and hormonal imbalances.